Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Then Life Happens...

"You just wait," the 'old timers' would say, "before you know it, you will be an old man looking back and wondering where the time went!"

Well, this Saturday Dawn and I will be attending my 30 Year Class Reunion. Go figure - 30 years! Now, I realize that there are many people out there that have gone to reunions 40, 50 and beyond (and they are probably saying, "Oh, you just wait you young whippersnapper!"), but when we graduated, 'those people' seemed a bit like fossils! Now we are they!

You youngsters reading this - just wait and see. A couple of blinks of the eye and the whole world changes. For one thing, it all becomes a bit more blurry cause your eyes are one of the first things to go. You think that wildlife is disappearing because you don't hear the peepers or the birds chirping anymore but the reality is that the ears have gone south with the eyes.

Now don't get the wrong idea here, from the inside looking out, I still feel very young. That is of course, till I get around a bunch of young people and have to keep asking, "What's that?" I find that I do a great deal of that these days. Which of course is better than simply nodding and smiling. I tried that for a while, but found that I got into more hot water then planned for!

So the really old people (which basically is anyone older then me), seem to have some sort of system going. Somehow, they have figured out when to smile and nod and when to ask, "What's that?" and when to pretend they didn't hear anything at all! My Dad is the master of that - perhaps I can take some lessons from him on the proper techniques sometime!

Oh well, until next time, may God bless you very much with longevity of life and a capacity to age gracefully. Determine to be one of those old people who is always smiling and enjoying life, not a prude who is always grouchy and unable to be satisfied with anything. We have been given much to be grateful for, look around - you can't hardly miss the blessings! (And if you can't see them, did you remember to put your glasses on?)

No comments:

Post a Comment