Monday, December 28, 2009

The Little Ones



Christmas and kids... what a fantastic combination!  Many of you know that Emily is my niece who is in the midst of a major battle with leukemia, but I haven't really taken the time to properly introduce her little sister, Tori.

Being the youngest in the family is not always easy.  The hustle and bustle of a teenager or two in a household can absorb a lot of attention leaving the little ones tagging along wondering where they really belong.  Add into the mix a major, life threatening illness and the young ones can be left with feelings of total insignificance.

Tori is a very special young girl to be around, full of joy, bouncy, and very active.  One of her favorite pastimes happens to be, "walking on the ceiling"!  That's right, you heard me, walking on the ceiling!  She makes me flip her upside down and hold her up to the ceiling to let her walk around.  That is, of course, until Grandpa (Mel) catches us and growls out, "Hey, what are you doing up there?  You're leaving footprints all over my ceiling!"  Then he quickly flashes a bright smile my way.  Tori and I look at each other in mock fear, sneak around the corner and quickly begin our trek on the ceiling once more.  She giggles and never wants to stop, it only ends when my arms (or my back) finally give out.

And talk about great hugs?!  She can almost pop my head off!  But oh, I love those hugs and cannot get enough of them.

Tori loves her sister so very much and simply can't spend enough time with her.  This season has been a struggle for Tori for that very reason and Emily's time at home was very quick and limited.  When I told Tori I was so very proud of her - she has been very brave and really good for her mom through all of this, especially considering that it is the Christmas season, her eyes welled up and I got one of those hugs.  My heart swelled and my chest tightened.

Tori, you are a very special young lady and you are loved deeply by all of us.

I'm reminded of the story of Jesus sitting on the hillside talking to a group of people and some children tried to run up to him, but the disciples wouldn't let them.  Do you know what Jesus did?  He scolded the disciples and told them to let the little ones run up to him and join him.  Can you see him scooping them up in his arms, tickling them, or flipping them upside down to walk on the clouds in the sky as he enjoyed their time together?  I can.  He loves children.  He loves you, Tori, and so do we!  Keep being brave and talk often to him because he listens and will help you and Emily (and the rest of your family) through this really tough time. Why?  Because he really loves you guys!

2 comments:

  1. That's a very nice picture of you, Emily and Tori. I hope Tori knows just how much she is loved. The love you have for her bubbles across the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly hope she does. She really is a great kid with tons of energy, looking for her place in the world.

    ReplyDelete