Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Memory Lane

We were looking at some old slides yesterday and I thought it might be interesting to share some of them with you. (Yes, Gail, I have trays and trays of them!)

I still cannot believe how quickly time passes. We were just kids way back then!

Dawn and I have been falling in love for over 35 years (married for 27 - and she quickly pointed out, "a half!") and it simply seems so brief! Jim Croce, in his song Time In A Bottle sang, "There never seems to be enough time to do the things we want to do once we find them." How true! Although, we have had the opportunity to see many of our hopes and dreams come to pass and look forward to seeing and experiencing so much more.

Here is Mom, Dad, Grandma and Cindy at the Kapok Tree Inn. (1979)
I am reminded, once again, that life doesn't always turn out the way we plan it. Sure, we make our plans and go for them (at least, we should 'cause it would be crazy boring to walk away from dreams and aspirations without at least giving them a try- always staying within God's parameters though! Don't go doing something crazy sinful and say I told you to do it! Come on!) - Anyway, I was saying that we set out on life's adventures with dreams and plans that sometimes end up all coming undone, running in circles or sometimes worse - total derailment! And we often wonder, "Why?"

This was Dawn's mom and dad, Mary and Mel, getting some flowers from my mom, Carole. Wow, were they young! They had a plan. In fact, they had many of them.
Truth be told, as a family we have all been extremely blessed! The Lord is faithful to take care of his children as we strive to serve him in all we do. Sure, there will be unexpected turns in the road but if we continue to walk in his way, he will lead us through all we encounter and we will be better because of it.
My pastor talked last Sunday about asking, "why?", and wisely shared with us that our ability to comprehend and be satisfied with God's answer would simply not suffice. Therefore, before beating ourselves to death over the question, simply accept that it has a purpose beyond our understanding and move on in faith. He has proven his faithfulness throughout the ages and will continue to care for us throughout eternity! Wow, what a promise!
I am reminded of the apostle Paul's encouragement to Timothy to keep the faith, even when things seem to go south! He said, "For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy looking at old photographs. I hope to post some of my old photographs, too, one day. Congratulations to both of you on your long marriage. There are so many marriages that do not last 25+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your very kind comments. It is sad but true considering marriages today. I wish more people were truly committed to one another and actually followed through with their vows. Our world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete