Sunday, September 6, 2009

Who Says?!

Well, they said it couldn't be done. That's right, an iMac doesn't freeze up or crash. I talked to countless people who said that. Only two people have ever said otherwise - good honest people - thank you very much!

So last night I took my new iMac for a spin. A half hour into the session, I was telling my kids they should have slapped me long ago and told me to buy one of these babies! After all, it would have saved me a lot of grief. What a smooth ride so far.

Nearly an hour into my "maiden voyage" I asked the kids if they wanted to come in and watch my new mini-production. "It is really cool, you guys have to check this out!"

So they came in to see the first of what we all expect to be many productions. Jackie took a seat on my lap and Adam was anxiously awaiting the preview alongside my chair. I pressed play and the kids were bedazzled by the first two and a half minutes of the five minute production. "Nice Dad, really nice," Jackie said.

Then the first gremlin struck - the screen threw a few flashes of green into one of the transitions and Adam timidly asked, "Was it supposed to do that, Dad?"

With a slight tremor I said, "Noooo..."

The flashes became more prevalent through the next three transitions and my stomach began to tighten. Until the unspeakable happened about four minutes into this little production - the screen went to a total green thatch work kind of look! It just froze!

Wait a minute... THIS IS A BRAND NEW iMAC! THIS IS JUST A SHORT MOVIE! My jaw fell into my lap. This is exactly what my PC did regularly and is why it is next on the list to meet my sledge hammer face to face! Granted, I put about as much into that short little test run as possible, but come on, it's a test run - RIGHT?!! You are supposed to give it a good run to see what it'll do! It's a man rule.

Within seconds, iMovie was sucked to the bottom right corner of the screen and it was all over. We were all silently staring at the star filled desktop of this beautiful new computer in disbelief.

After a few moments Adam said, in a rather stressed tone, "Well, I'm outta here! Kind of looks like you got a good dose of the Peters' blood." And simply left Jackie and me to face the horror by ourselves.

Knowing that I have heart problems, Jackie gravely looked at me and asked with great concern, "Are you alright, Dad?"

All I could do was give a little chuckle! God definitely has a sense of humor!

Okay. So the good news? When I restarted iMovie, it had saved all the changes and opened just fine. It also played through the entire production without a hitch (all of the whopping five minutes. Now what happens when I build one of my jam packed, high power, full feature productions?). It even worked well this morning when I showed it to Dawn. Cool. She liked it. (Of course, she could have been in on the maiden voyage but she was too busy sleeping. Haha)

Sorry Mac lovers, the jury is still out on this one. By the way, is that some kind of record or something? You know, crashing a Mac in less than an hour?!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment