Monday, June 1, 2009

Five...


I couldn't believe I was going to spend the entire evening with this wonderful, fascinating young lady! The colors were all picked out, the dress was purchased, I had my blue three piece suit (yes, it included the vest and wide white tie!) in hand and I had the keys to my parents car - an air conditioned 1978 Chevy Impala! Youngsters might laugh at that thought, but that was our first car with air conditioning! To top off the evening we were going to The Mark for dinner, a high class restaurant on Presque Isle State Park in Erie, Pa. [affectionately known as The Peninsula]. What else could a young man possibly dream of?


Pulling into Dawn's driveway, the excitement began to rise - oh sure, we had been dating since the fall and she had my class ring all wrapped up with fuzzy yarn [it was huge on her tiny little finger]. Oh, this was a big day! Our first prom. I had already filled up the gas tank, which probably cost me a whopping $10! So we spent the day goofing around, then washed and waxed the car, (which definitely included spraying each other with the hose whenever possible!) and finally got ready to go. Back then, there wasn't all the hooplah over going to a beautician for hair, make up, nails, hot oil, tanning, etc., etc.! Instead, we just got ready, then headed for The Mark. And she looked spectacular!


On the way to the peninsula, we made a couple laps around the dock, located at the foot of State Street in Erie. That's where the cruising action was - everyone cruised the dock! The Impala's bench seat was perfect for sitting right next to each other so I could slip my arm around her and really enjoy the ride. Life just seemed sweeter that way. We chatted all along the way, sharing dreams and goofing around - some serious and some just for fun - and there was a sense of magic in the air.


Remember the lyrics to the song, "and ohhh, when we kissed, we could not stop! You walked out of my dreams, and into my arms, now you're my angel divine. You're sixteen, you're beautiful, and you're mine!" That simply fit that night to the "T"!


That entire evening is like a dream to me now. Our first big date, like we were all grown up. The prom was simply an afterthought to an evening that was laced with, well - magic! If you haven't ever experienced a thrill like that, it would be hard for you to understand - and it is impossible to explain - we simply knew that there was something very special between us that went far beyond the average into the realm of unbelievable. And that time spent with each other before the dance was far better than the hustle and craziness inside the dance hall. We seemed to be all alone in the vast expanse of the universe.


It seems that we still enjoy getting away from the crowds, just walking and holding hands, stargazing and bird watching, kicking off our shoes and walking on the beach, growing in the Lord and sharing our dreams with each other. Honestly, I don't know how life could get much better; but in five more days, I think we just might find out! "Cause you walked out of my dreams, and into my arms, now your my angel divine! You're sixteen [plus a few more nowadays!], you're beautiful, and you're mine!"


Can't wait!


1 comment: