Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Three...

"Now be careful, Adam. Do you remember how to stop this thing? Show me," I said. "That's right, push the clutch while you press the brake. Good job."

This would be the first time he would mow the yard with our riding mower. He was old enough and big enough to drive it, careful enough, too [so don't run right over to the phone and call child services! Besides, the statute of limitations has run out on that one! haha].

"Okay, Adam, now ease out the clutch and your off. Take it easy, now. Good. Now you simply have to follow around the yard keeping your outside tire running along the edge of your last cut, alright?"

"I can do this, Dad!"

"Alright, I'm gonna sit over here and keep an eye on you," I said.

[Yep, he's doing just fine. One lap down, and... wait a minute, what in the world is he doing? He isn't following the cut line, he's swerving around too much. Now what is he doing? Running circles for cryin' out loud! He's gone insane.]

"Hey, what in the world are you doing? You're supposed to follow the cut line and run straight, you knuckle head!"

"I'm just having a little fun. Besides, I think it will go faster this way," he said.

[Well, I can't argue with having a little fun - that's for sure, but faster? I guess he'll learn.]

"Alright. Well, have fun."

Hours later, Adam finished the grass in our back yard - a job that should have only taken about 30 minutes. It was rather comical, I must admit, and he certainly did have fun! The finished product, however, ended up looking like aliens had landed and made crop circles all over the yard.

That was years ago, but I just happened to be thinking about that day as I was mowing the grass tonight. We are trying to wrap up some of those last minute things before we head out on the Great Adventure and mowing the yard one last time was one of those things on the list. Now, for the next five weeks, the mowing will be up to Adam [I'm kind of afraid to see what it will look like when we get back - haha, crazy designs and all!].

We did get in touch with Rick, my old Air Force roommate. Oddly enough, it happened through facebook. I really did not want to start facebooking too, I don't have that kind of time, but it was pretty cool because I signed up and left him a message last night and he gave me a call tonight. That was the first time we have talked in years! Rick, if you are reading this, it was great to hear from you!

So a stop in Farmington, NM is in order, along with a "Chuck Wagon Meal." [Don't ask me, Rick said we are going to have to go eat there and experience it because the show is great!] He also confirmed that the Silverton Railroad ride in Silverton, Colorado, is supposed to be spectacular and it is only about 90 minutes north of his house. What's more is that the Chuck Wagon Meal is in a town where the Silverton Railroad let's passengers off. Sounds like the beginning of a great game plan!

With only 3 days and a wake up left before we leave, I'm kind of tempted to get the luggage out and start filling it up! But, there is no sense in that because it takes no time at all to pack them... [who needs to do stuff that only makes sense? Baby, the bags are coming out!].

Do you remember my good friend Ellen? [Spam Museum Ellen, that's right, now you remember] Well, she has informed me that she will take over the role of tour organizer and will scout possible locations and itineraries on a daily basis for us, then plan the most effective use of time each day to maximize our sightseeing opportunities! Thanks, Ellen! hahaha Our first bit of info from her is that she knows where the geographical center of the continental U.S. is located and it happens to be in Kansas! As we get closer, she is going to inform us of the exact location so we can check it out - along with the world's largest ball of bailing twine! Keep up the good work, Ellen, you're great!

No comments:

Post a Comment