Friday, May 15, 2009

C'mon Dad!

"Can't we put up the pool today? C'mon Dad! Please?!"

"Today Adam? I'm really busy and have a ton of work to do."

"Please, Dad? It won't take very long, will it?"

What a fun day that was. The kids couldn't wait to get the pool up. We had to get sand for a base, pull up the sod and level the spot. That meant putting everything else on the back burner for the day, but ohhhh, was it worth it! We worked together [well, maybe I did the work and they were prodding me on with the familiar, "Are we ready to put it up now?!" statements] all afternoon.

Our dog, Libby, and our neighbor, Missy, even got in on the fun. Three kids and a dog, jumping in and out of the trailer into the sand pile [the same sand pile that I was supposed to be spreading out as a base for the pool] squealing with joy, laughing and goofing around. It warmed my heart then as it does today remembering it.

By the end of the day, we did get the pool up, though it took most of the day to do so. But in the end we had a great time and made some memories that have lasted a lifetime. [it helped that Dawn video taped most of the action like we did for most of the kids lives! Couldn't help it, they were so cool!] That was a long time ago.

Anyway, when Adam came home today and asked to go for a ride - which I had been thinking about all day, and it was a beautiful sun shiny day - I unfortunately had to decline. After all, I had to get a load of wood in. Priorities are priorities, sorry. Come on Adam, there are only 3 weeks left before we leave on the Great Adventure and we have to bring in at least four more truck loads to be sure we can get through next winter! [In case you didn't already guess, we heat with wood]

"Dad, it's a great day for a ride!"

Of course, it wasn't too hard for him to talk me into it - he gave a few reasons why I should go and after a little prodding, I once again caved. The wood could wait. A short ride would still leave plenty of time to get a load of wood in and as Adam so aptly pointed out, Mom would be home from work when we get back so she could go with me and help with the wood. Sounded like a game plan that could work! After all, didn't I just write yesterday about taking some time to R&R once in a while?

The ride was a nice break. Our bikes rolling down the back roads, my son and I taking in the fresh air and open road - ohhh, what a nice break! We were gone for a little under an hour, but it was very refreshing. Thanks, Adam, great idea!

Tomorrow we go to pick Jackie up from college and I am really looking forward to seeing her again. We will pack her dorm room tomorrow and come home on Sunday (after she sings for graduation). So, Sunday the family will finally be back together again and that will be very nice. Hmmm... I wonder what the kids will get me into next... Sorry kids, no more pools!

No comments:

Post a Comment