Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hey Mom, Just For You


As I was out washing my bike today, I just couldn't help remembering my old Suzuki 125. I spent hours that day polishing it from front to back - was I ever excited. Chrome front and rear fenders, chrome luggage rack, chrome headlight housing, chrome heat shield on the exhaust... chrome, chrome, chrome! This little thing couldn't keep up with the bigger bikes I rode with but she sure did try hard!

Mom came home one day and asked if I would like to look at a motorcycle. Like, what, are you kidding me?! Would I even consider turning that one down? Not on your life! I had to ask what she was talking about, pinch myself really hard and get over my chin which had fallen onto the floor before getting out the word (yes, singular!), "Why?"


For all the work I had done on the farm that year, this would be my pay! You have got to be kidding me, right?!


We brought that little sweetheart home and I simply could not get over the fact that it was mine - all mine! Oh sure, I had a bike before this one - a little Rupp Scrambler that my brother and I rode into the ground! We bought the Rupp with money we earned putting in hay over a summer for a local farmer. But this, this Suzuki was a real machine! And oh, was she ever a looker. I just couldn't help but polish it up - ahhemmm - well, that one time anyhow.


After that, it wasn't long before it was packed with mud from front to back and the chrome pieces started coming off [I honestly don't know whether they fell off due to rough abuse or I took them off so it would look more like a race bike; either way I really rode it hard!].


Mom, you always have a way of catching me at my best moments and encouraging them. You have had, and continue to have a way of finding the best in me and most everyone you come in contact with - for that I will always be grateful. That first bike had me puffed up like a peacock with pride and it was all because you knew my heart and my desires and always looked for ways to make special things happen!


Well, that was me then and I thought you would like to see me now... not much has really changed after all, has it? Now there is a little less hair and an entire lifetime of other sweet memories sandwiched in between like the best Oreo cookie in the world! I will always praise God for the blessings he has showered me with through you! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment